Saturday, February 1, 2014

Why are Fire Hydrants Purple or Lime?


This is a throwback story that I posted when submitting for a weekend photo theme for froknowsphoto.com back in February 2012.  I heard the theme was "fire hydrant(s)" while driving and listening to the froknows podcast and used the only camera I had with me at the time.

I had recently moved to Pleasanton, CA and realized I had not even seen any fire hydrants.  The hydrants didn't stand out as they do with other cities.  The hydrants were not your typical red color.    The funny thing is that I did notice the town across the freeway, Dublin, CA had purple hydrants.  I always found Dublin's color choice as odd since the city typically has a green theme.  

As I was driving to the store I spotted a green/lime hydrant near the Pleasanton downtown area!  This was not a planned shoot, so I only had my iPhone, not my Nikon D90.  Well, this theme turned quickly into a photo challenge.  

I quickly parked and tried my best to grab some interesting shots with my iPhone 4. Needless to say, I had to spend a bit of time in post to crop, and play with saturation and blacks. I attempted a diptych since I didn't believe either image stood strong on its own.  

Below you'll find two versions I did, one in black and white and the other in color.  I removed the color in the black and white since the photo was so blown out by the intensity of the sun.

Do you know why a city would use such creative color choices for their fire hydrants?

froTheme_feb4_fireHydrant_bnw
Click to see larger version



froTheme_feb4_fireHydrant_color
Click to see larger version

No comments:

Post a Comment